No matter how much we want to deny it….when you neglect your feelings to appease others, you are mistreating yourself! And it really takes a toll on you until you no longer know who “YOU” really are.The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others.
1. Giving is generous. Keep doing it, but be open to receiving as well.
2. Emotional self-care for the people pleasers: Before you agree to another obligation, take a pause and ask yourself “am I agreeing to this because I really want to or because I think I should?”
3. If you are cotinually ‘shoulding’ yourself into a corner, start using your ‘No.‘
5. Embrace the importance of having boundaries – for yourself and others. Have them. Set them. Respect them.
6. Show your body some love every day. Healthy body, happy heart, healthy mind.
7. Make a list of the personal ways you choose to ‘numb out’ from life? Do you look to food? Shopping? Endless hours of browsing on the internet or TV? Increase your awareness of these triggers.
8. Once you are familiar with your personal triggers, make a plan on how you might choose to react differently.
9. Have at least one friend who is your support person in times of struggle. The one who is deserving of listening to your stories, your vulnerability buddy.
10.Become better acquainted with your self talk. If you’re being particularly nasty to yourself – work on changing it.
11. The next time you reach for that large block of chocolate or big bag of crisps (or whatever your go to comfort food is), ask yourself – What is it that I really need right now? Am I looking for love and attention? Am I sad about something? Am I avoiding feeling?
12. Appreciating the small miracles in our daily lives always leads to a focal point of more. Cultivate the practice of gratitude.
13. Allow yourself to be open to connection with others.Whether you are experiencing sublime joy, or suffering, there is someone a short distance from you having a similar experience. We’re all in this together. We’re never truly alone.
14. Look at compliments as small deposits of love. Dont feel weird about them. Receive them with grace.
15. Nurture and celebrate your creativity
16. All emotions have important information for us. Develop your body awareness so that you can foster this connection. Allow yourself to feel your emotions -even the really painful ones. Learn to manage them effectively when required.
17. Practice self-compassion, and use it every time you are having a less than stellar day.
18. Journal. If you are experiencing emotional distress – get it out of your head and on to paper. Ask for clarity.
19. Write yourself a love letter.
20. Listen to your favourite music, often.
22. Invest in yourself. Surround yourself with mentors and people you can learn with. A wise uncle. Life coaches, healers, spiritual advisors. Whatever works for you. Managing emotional self care requires ongoing development and support.
23.Carve out time in your schedule for white space
24. When stumped by an emotional crisis,or difficult decision, ask what your best friend, or best self would do?
25. Practice all the aforementioned with self-compassion and imperfection.